Rebecca B. Hadden Stone House Museum
105 Point Street
Saltsburg, Pa. 15681 Phone: 724-639-9003
Built in 1830, the Salstburg Area Historical Society's Stone House Museum is a reflection of the
community's past. Housed in this grand old structure are artifacts that will help us learn about the
strength and resolve that carried Saltsburg area residents through prosperous and difficult times
during the last two centuries.
The stories of past generations come alive at the Rebecca B. Hadden Stone House Museum. Come
visit and discover how these hearty souls of Saltsburg lived, survived, prospered and coped, and
how their lives have become a reflection of the American Spirit.
HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM
This was the home of one of the McIlwain brothers, who are credited with much of the growth and
development of early Saltsburg. Robert McIlwain, Saltsburg's first blacksmith, built this home for
his residence. Dr. James Crawford would live in the home in 1871. In 1993 , the Stone House
Museum was dedicated to Rebecca B. Hadden, the founder of the Historical Society. Mrs. Hadden
was a physician's wife who was universally well liked, diplomatic, and was active in early
preservation efforts and many other community activities.
FACTS AND FIGURES
Saltsburg was laid out by Andrew Boggs in 1817 and was incorporated in 1838.
Salt was manufactured near Saltsburg starting in 1812.
First church services were held (Presbyterian) in November, 1817.
The first church was erected in 1820. It was destroyed by fire in 1831. The present Presbyterian
Church building was erected in 1874 at the corner of Salt and Washington Streets.
About 1820, the burial ground at the north end of town was started (Old Cemetery). The first burial
ground near the pump station was stared in 1820. The Canal took part of it.
Western Division Pennsylvania Canal was opened through Saltsburg in March, 1829.
The Baptist Church was organized in Loyalhanna in 1828, and the church was erected in Saltsburg in
First United Presbyterian Church was erected in Saltsburg in 1843.
St. Matthew's Roman Catholic Chapel was erected in 1847.
Railroad bridge crossing the Kiskiminetas River was completed in 1864. Only the piers of the
Western Pennsylvania Railroad remain at present.
Saltsburg Academy was erected in 1851.
Universalist Church was erected in 1870.
Saltsburg Press was started in 1875.
St. John's Lutheran Church was erected in 1882.
Methodist Church was organized in 1841, and the present building was erected in 1890.
The old wooden bridge, which spanned the Kiskiminetas River, was completed in 1842. It burned in
1922 and the present bridge opened November 22, 1985.
The first bridge constructed across Loyalhanna Creek was at Saltsburg in 1820, the second in 1842,
and the third in 1967.
Woolen Mill was built in 1831. It was sold to Stewart Brothers who operated it. The Mill was
damaged by the Johnstown Flood in 1889.
Kiskiminetas Springs School opened in 1888.
Saltsburg Glass Company opened in 1880.
Water Works was built in 1894.
Streets were paved in 1903.
Saltsburg Free Library started in 1909.
Views of woodshed with antique tool display
"The only thing new in the
world is the history you
From Merle Miller, Plain
Speaking: An Oral
Biography of Harry S.